This week, I received two email newsletters with an “anchor” theme.
The first newsletter asked whether there was an area of your life that provided an anchor of security or a shelter during tough times. This anchor might be a place you find relaxing to visit, a friend you can talk things over with, a faith that brings you comfort, or a pet that loves you unconditionally.
This got me thinking about where my own anchors are and what I find comforting.
The Anchors That Restore UsI love walking along the beach at dawn. I love the clear air, and I especially love it when the tide is low. The colours of the water, the sand and the sky are constantly changing, but there is something about being at the beach at this time of day that I find deeply restorative.
Dancing is another one of my anchors. I find that going over and over movements and practising gives me focus. For those moments, my attention is completely absorbed in what I am doing.
Art is another anchor. When I paint, it becomes a kind of timeout for me. I lose myself in the process and focus only on what I am doing. It gives my mind time to clear, and at the end I have a new artwork to put in my home.
These are the things that bring me back to myself.
When an Anchor Holds Us BackThen the second email asked whether I had an invisible anchor that was holding me back. The question was related to past lives, which is not something I am particularly focused on right now. My present life has enough going on for me!
However, the question did get me thinking about this life, here and now, and whether I have any anchors that may be holding me back.
Imagine, for a moment, that you are on a boat in a safe harbour. You want to go somewhere, but your anchor has become snagged on something beneath the boat. You try to move forward, but the snag prevents you from going anywhere.
You don't necessarily want to stay in the harbour. You want to explore. You want to move, discover new places and perhaps experience something different.
Are there areas of your life where you feel held back?
Is there an anchor that you would rather not have?
Perhaps it is a fear of doing something, such as flying. You would love to travel, but your fear of flying — or perhaps more specifically, your fear of crashing — keeps you from going.
Or perhaps it is a hurt from a past relationship that makes it difficult to trust and stops you from trying again.
Sometimes our anchors provide safety and stability. At other times, something that once protected us can become the very thing that keeps us from moving forward.
Anchors for the JourneyThis morning, I am grateful for the anchors that keep me grounded and safe, especially at Christmas.
I love the ritual of putting up and decorating our Christmas tree. I love creating a little Christmas spirit by decorating the topiary tree outside our home and sharing a little joy with others who may not be experiencing much joy in their own lives right now.
These rituals, just like the beach, dancing and painting, are my anchors. They give me a sense of connection, comfort and stability.
But this morning I am also wondering: What anchors do I need to let go of?
Perhaps there are things we once needed to hold onto that no longer serve us. Perhaps there are fears, hurts, beliefs or old patterns that have become snagged beneath the surface, quietly preventing us from moving forward.
We don't have to pull up every anchor. Some are worth keeping. Some give us a place to return to when life becomes difficult.
But perhaps there are others that we can gently release.
What Are Your Anchors?So, what are the anchors that work for you?
What brings you a sense of safety, comfort and connection?
And what are the anchors that may be keeping you snagged?
Perhaps it is worth taking a little time to notice the difference.



