Understanding Attachment Styles in Relationships
Why do some people feel secure and comfortable with closeness, while others become anxious, withdraw, or find it difficult to trust?
Attachment theory offers one way of understanding these patterns. It helps us explore how our early experiences of relationships can influence the way we connect with others, particularly in our closest adult relationships.
Attachment theory does not mean that our childhood determines who we become. Rather, our early relationships can contribute to the expectations, beliefs and patterns we develop around closeness, trust, safety and connection.
Understanding attachment can be particularly helpful for couples because sometimes the argument on the surface is not really the whole story. Beneath the disagreement may be a deeper question such as, "Are you there for me?", "Can I trust you?", or "Do I matter to you?"
What Is Attachment?
Attachment is the emotional bond we develop with the people who are important to us. From infancy, human beings have a natural need for connection, protection and emotional security.
When we feel safe in our relationships, we are generally better able to explore the world, cope with difficulties and return to our relationships for comfort and support when we need it.
As we grow, these early experiences can contribute to what are sometimes called our internal working models — our expectations about ourselves, other people and relationships.
For example, we may develop beliefs such as:
• "People will be there when I need them."
• "I am worthy of love and care."
• "I have to look after myself because I can't rely on others."
• "If someone pulls away, I need to do something to get them back."
These beliefs are not always conscious. They can become part of the way we automatically respond when a relationship feels uncertain or threatening.
The Four Common Attachment Patterns
Attachment theory is often described using four broad patterns: secure, anxious, avoidant and fearful-avoidant (sometimes called disorganised attachment).
It is important to remember that these are not personality types or permanent labels. A person can show different attachment behaviours in different relationships and circumstances. Attachment patterns can also change as we have new experiences and develop greater awareness.
Secure Attachment
People with a more secure attachment pattern generally feel reasonably comfortable with intimacy and independence. They can ask for support when they need it and are usually able to offer support to others.
In relationships, secure attachment may look like being able to communicate needs, tolerate differences, repair after conflict and trust that the relationship can survive difficult conversations.
Secure attachment does not mean a relationship without conflict. It means having a greater sense that, even when things are difficult, the relationship can remain a place of safety and connection.
Anxious Attachment
A person with a more anxious attachment pattern may be particularly sensitive to signs of rejection, distance or disconnection.
When a relationship feels uncertain, they may seek reassurance, ask repeated questions, want more contact or become preoccupied with what their partner is thinking or feeling.
Underneath these behaviours may be a fear of losing the connection:
"Are you still there?"
"Do you still love me?"
"Am I important to you?"
What looks like demanding or persistent behaviour on the surface may sometimes be an attempt to restore a sense of emotional security.
Avoidant Attachment
A person with a more avoidant attachment pattern may feel uncomfortable with too much emotional closeness or dependence. They may value independence strongly and find it difficult to express vulnerable feelings or ask for support.
When conflict occurs, they may withdraw, become quiet, focus on practical matters or need considerable space.
Again, there can be a deeper story underneath the behaviour. For some people, emotional distance has become a way of protecting themselves from feeling overwhelmed, rejected or dependent on someone else.
Fearful-Avoidant Attachment
A fearful-avoidant pattern can involve wanting closeness while also feeling unsafe with it.
A person may deeply want connection but become uncomfortable when someone gets too close. They may move towards a partner and then pull away, or alternate between seeking reassurance and withdrawing.
This can create confusion for both partners because the person may experience two strong needs at the same time: "I want you close" and "I don't feel safe being this close."
Attachment and Adult Relationships
Our attachment system can become particularly activated in our closest relationships.
When we feel loved, understood and secure, we may be able to communicate openly and respond thoughtfully. When we feel rejected, ignored, criticised or disconnected, our nervous system may respond as though something important is at risk.
This is one reason seemingly small disagreements can sometimes become surprisingly intense.
A disagreement about a phone, household task, intimacy, time together or coming home late may be connected to something much deeper:
"Can I count on you?"
"Do I matter to you?"
"Am I safe with you?"
"Will you be there when I need you?"
When we understand the attachment needs underneath the conflict, we can sometimes begin to move away from blaming each other and towards understanding the pattern between us.
The Pursue–Withdraw Cycle
One common relationship pattern involves one partner pursuing connection while the other withdraws.
The more one partner feels disconnected, the more they may reach out, question, complain or seek reassurance. The other partner may experience this as criticism, pressure or emotional overwhelm and withdraw further.
The more they withdraw, the more abandoned or anxious the first partner may feel. They may then pursue even more strongly.
And the cycle continues.
Neither person may actually be trying to create this pattern. Both may be responding to their own feelings of threat or insecurity.
Instead of asking, "Who is causing the problem?", it can be helpful to ask, "What is happening between us when we both become activated?"
Attachment Is About More Than Childhood
Attachment theory is sometimes misunderstood as meaning that everything in our adult relationships can be explained by our childhood.
Our early experiences matter, but they are not the whole story.
Adult relationships, significant life experiences, trauma, loss, previous relationships and the way our current partner responds to us can all influence our sense of security.
Attachment patterns can also change. A relationship in which we consistently experience respect, responsiveness, emotional safety and repair can provide opportunities for developing greater security.
You Are Not Your Attachment Style
Attachment styles can be useful for understanding patterns, but they can become unhelpful when they are used as labels.
Rather than saying, "I'm anxious and you're avoidant, so that's just how we are," we can become curious about what happens when each person feels threatened or disconnected.
For example:
What happens inside me when I feel you pulling away?
What do I tend to do when I feel rejected?
What happens for me when my partner becomes upset?
Do I move towards my partner, move away, become defensive, shut down or try to take control?
What might my partner be experiencing at that moment?
These questions can help us move from labelling ourselves and each other towards understanding our relationship patterns.
Building More Secure Relationships
Greater security in a relationship can be supported by small, consistent experiences of connection.
This can include:
• Listening to understand rather than immediately defending ourselves.
• Expressing feelings and needs clearly rather than expecting our partner to guess.
• Responding when our partner reaches out for connection.
• Showing interest in each other's inner world.
• Being emotionally available during difficult moments.
• Taking responsibility for our part in relationship patterns.
• Learning how to repair after conflict.
• Creating moments of warmth, affection, appreciation and connection in everyday life.
These behaviours may seem simple, but repeated experiences of responsiveness and emotional safety can make a significant difference to how connected a couple feels.
A Different Question to Ask
When relationships become difficult, we can easily become focused on what our partner is doing wrong.
Attachment theory invites us to become curious about what is happening underneath the behaviour.
Instead of only asking, "Why are you doing this?", we might ask:
"What is happening for you right now?"
"What are you needing from me?"
"What happens for me when I feel disconnected from you?"
"What do we each do when we feel unsafe or uncertain?"
Sometimes the most important issue is not the argument itself, but the sense of connection and safety underneath it.
Attachment Theory and Relationship Counselling
Understanding attachment can give couples another way of looking at relationship difficulties. Rather than seeing one person as the problem, we can explore the patterns that develop between two people and the needs and emotions underneath those patterns.
The goal is not to determine which partner has the "right" attachment style. It is to develop greater awareness, compassion and choice.
When we can recognise our own patterns, understand what may be happening for our partner and respond differently, we can begin to create new experiences of connection.
Relationships do not have to be perfect to be healthy. What matters is our ability to notice when we become disconnected and find our way back to each other.
A Final Thought
Perhaps one of the most useful questions attachment theory gives us is a simple one:
"When I feel disconnected from the person I love, what do I do — and what might I need?"
Understanding the answer can be the beginning of changing the pattern.

